The Sheldon Art Galleries, located in the Emerson Galleries building, features rotating exhibits in six galleries,
including photography, architecture, St. Louis artists and collections, jazz history and children's art. Artwork
is also featured in The Sheldon's sculpture garden, visible from both the atrium lobby and the connecting glass bridge.
Tuesdays, 12 noon – 8 p.m.
Wednesdays - Fridays, 12 noon – 5 p.m.
Saturdays, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
and one hour prior to Sheldon performances and during intermission.
Closed July 4th, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.
Join us for a gallery opening, Friday, February 7 from 5-7 p.m.
Galleries open until 9 p.m. for First Fridays in Grand Center.
|Bellwether Gallery of St. Louis Artists|
Oscar Edmund Berninghaus, (American, 1874–1952), Laclede Landing at Present Site of St. Louis, c. 1914, watercolor, 10 x 14 inches, Private Collection, courtesy of Kodner Gallery, St. Louis.
Wazhazhe (Osage), Shield, hide, feathers, cloth, metal and pigment, 18.5 x 44 inches, collection of Osage Tribal Museum, photograph by Erik Campos.
Imagining the Founding of St. Louis |
February 7 – August 23, 2014
Organized in commemoration of the 250th anniversary of the founding of the French settlement of St. Louis, this exhibition brings together paintings, drawings, prints and sculpture by Oscar E. Berninghaus, Karl Bodmer, Charles Bird King, Louis-Leopold Boilly, Charles Ferdinand Wimar and others, and pays tribute to the Native Missourians who lived in the region with a beautiful array of Mississippian, Osage, Missouria and Illiniwek regalia, art and artifacts. Early maps from the 18th and 19th centuries, a print depicting the Chouteau family mansion, and for the first month of the exhibit, a handwritten page from Auguste Chouteau's narrative of the settlement, will also be on view.
An accompanying resource room provides books and other background materials for study, as well as a selection of contemporary works in photography and painting by David Hanlon, Michael Haynes, Sean Standing Bear, Philip Slein and James M. Smith that consider and reconsider the area's complex and varied histories. Co-curated by Daven Anderson and gallery director, Olivia Lahs-Gonzales, the exhibition includes major loans from the Missouri History Museum, the Saint Louis Art Museum, the St. Louis Mercantile Library, the St. Louis Science Center, the Osage Tribal Museum and several private collections. A fully illustrated exhibition catalogue with essays by the co-curators and historian J. Frederick Fausz, and contributions by Caitlin Donald, Julie Dunn Morton, Kerrie Mohahan, Kathryn Red Corn and Jill Ahlberg Yohe accompanies the exhibition.
Gallery Talk: Friday, April 4, at 12:15 p.m., Children of the Middle Waters: Art of the Osage Then, Now, Always. Jill Ahlberg Yohe, Assistant Curator of Native American Art, The Saint Louis Art Museum and Caitlin Donald (Osage/Ponca) will give a presentation. Admission Free. Click here for more information.
Proud Participant in STL250!
The exhibition is made possible in part by Mary Pillsbury Fine Jewelry Company, Ameren, Bellefontaine Cemetery and Arboretum, Eleanor J. Moore, the Ed and H. Pillsbury Foundation and the Bannister Family.
Dan Younger, Vendor, Sea World, San Diego, California, 2010, inkjet print, 48 x 36 inches, courtesy of the artist.
Dan Younger: Travel Places|
February 7 – May 17, 2014
Photographer Dan Younger has culled together photographs of tourist spots in the United States from a variety of other projects, and has assembled them here for the first time. Their color heightened with Photoshop, these images underscore the photographer's interest in the idiosyncrasies of human behavior and the patchwork nature of public spaces. Made with the same sense of excitement as tourist photographs, the images reveal the photographer's wonder about new places and people, yet are also a canny critique of travel and tourism. Dan Younger is a Professor of Art and former chair of the Department of Art & Art History at the University of Missouri in St. Louis. His photographs have been exhibited nationally and internationally and are in numerous public collections including Museum de Stadt in Gladbeck Germany, The Museum of Contemporary Photography in Chicago, the Harry Ransom Center at UT- Austin, The Saint Louis Art Museum and the Smithsonian Institute.
This exhibition is made possible in part by Phyllis and Kenneth Langsdorf.
|Bernoudy Gallery of Architecture|
Preliminary Design for The Sheldon Plaza, 2013. Benjamin Gilmartin Architect (Design Architect) with Andrew Colopy / Cobalt Office; Fred Powers / Powers Bowersox Associates (Executive Architect); Susanna Drake / Dlandstudio (Landscape Architect); Randy Burkett / Randy Burkett Lighting Design Inc. (Lighting); and Electrosonic (A/V Design - Public Media Commons Only).
Walking Grand Center: 4 Streetscape Designs|
March 7 – May 17, 2014
Located in the heart of St. Louis, Grand Center is an arts and entertainment district with 12,000 theater seats, 12 museums and galleries, schools, public television and radio stations. Grand Center is the site of more than 1,500 cultural events annually and a destination for more than 1.5 million people who visit each year. Organizations in the district have been working with Grand Center, Inc. to create a nationally recognized art, cultural and entertainment community. Out of a strong collaborative planning process has come a "Great Streets" project with the East-West Gateway Council of Governments to upgrade streetscapes and improve lighting, making the district an even more inviting destination. Another project is "ArtWalk" that will create a lively and engaging pedestrian pathway from Lindell Boulevard, alongside the St. Louis University Museum of Art, across the Scottish Rite parking lot, through Public Media Commons between The Nine Network and St. Louis Public Radio, alongside the western side of The Sheldon to Washington Boulevard, then west to the Pulitzer and Contemporary Art Museum, and finally north along Spring to the "Burnt Church." The Sheldon has engaged Ben Gilmartin, designer of Public Media Commons, to create its "Sheldon Plaza," and Grand Center, Inc. has engaged AxiOme, who also designed the new St. Louis Public Radio building, to design the public areas of ArtWalk. Architectural firms involved the Great Streets project are Christner, and Hoerrshaudt Landscape Architects. The exhibition will include drawings, plans, photographs and a large model of Grand Center designed by AxiOme as part of the ArtWalk plans.
This exhibition is made possible by Nancy and Kenneth Kranzberg.
|AT&T Gallery of Children's Art|
Hannah Cordes, Butterfly, 2013, inkjet print from digital file, 9.5 x 13.25 inches, Jessica Riddle, instructor, Mehlville High School.
Inspirations: Art by Students of Mehlville High School |
March 7 – May 17, 2014
This exhibition features multi- media works including photography and ceramics by students of Mehlville's Visual Arts program. With six dedicated art teachers, Mehlville has a unique art program. Students are prepared with 2D and 3D Art Foundation courses that are designed to introduce a variety of studio practices. The school offers courses in drawing, painting, ceramics, sculpture, photography, computer art, applied design, printmaking, AP studio art and AP art history. The faculty inspires students to develop their creativity, improve their skills, and achieve success with guided practice and hard work. The exhibition is curated by Rebecca Gunter, gallery coordinator and education manager.
|Nancy Spirtas Kranzberg Gallery|
Jeff Hirsch, The Amulet Vendor, 2013, Giclée print on archival rag paper, 18 x 12 inches, courtesy of the artist.
St. Louis Camera Club Centennial Exhibition|
February 7 – August 16, 2014
Mounted in celebration of the 100th anniversary of the St. Louis Camera Club, founded in 1914, this juried exhibition features 50 photographs by current members submitted under the themes, "Nature," "Color," "Travel" and "Photojournalism." The St. Louis Camera Club is one of the oldest in the nation, although documentation exists that as early as 1891, members of a camera club in St. Louis presented lantern slides in New York City. Club members come from all walks of life, making for a diverse organization of photo enthusiasts. The mission of the St. Louis Camera Club is to promote the art and science of photography in a social environment where photographers of all skill levels are welcomed. The club embraces the advancement of photography through member education, innovation, technology and creativity.
|Ann Lee and Wilfred Konneker Gallery|
Jim Dine Sculpture dedicated to the memory of Dr. Leigh Gerdine
Jim Dine Sculpture
The Ann Lee and Wilfred Konneker Gallery at the Sheldon Art Galleries is the site for the Jim Dine sculpture,
The Heart Called Orchid, 2003. The sculpture is dedicated to the life and accomplishments of Dr. Leigh Gerdine, a founding trustee of the
Sheldon Arts Foundation who devoted himself to the saving and renovation of the historic Sheldon Concert Hall and the creation of the
Sheldon Art Galleries.
A beautiful bronze work on long-term loan from the Gateway Foundation St. Louis, the sculpture is a
glowing golden heart that balances on its point on a
trompe d'oeil "wooden" pallet, which on
further examination is seen also to be made of bronze. A recurring theme in Dine's work since 1966,
the heart emerges in prints, drawings, paintings and sculptures.
Jim Dine was born in 1935 in Cincinnati, Ohio and rose to prominence in the 1960s with his performance and assemblage works.
From the 1960s, Dine also began to incorporate representations of simple everyday objects into his works. His object-based
imagery seen in paintings, drawings, prints and sculptures include tools, men's suits, bathrobes, hearts, and household objects
among others and are metaphors for childhood memories, personal psychological states and self-portraits. Like Dine's suit and
bathrobe images make reference to the artist's body and persona, his hearts contain layered metaphors about the body, sensuality,
love, and as the artist describes them, he sees the heart as "the agent and the organ of my emotions."
|Lucy and Stanley Lopata Sculpture Garden|
The sculpture garden is located between the Sheldon Concert Hall and the adjoining Emerson Galleries
building, and features an Italian marble fountain from the 1904 Worlds Fair and a terra cotta lions head, created by
the Winkle Terra Cotta Company for the former Buder Building, built in 1903.
a six-foot terra cotta Roman Victory Figure, also from the Winkle Terra Cotta Company
saved from the 1898 Title Guaranty building in St. Louis, greets visitors as they enter the street level entrance.
Shawn Burkard, Study for Monoliths 3, 2011, powder-coated steel,
3 sculptures, finished works each 8 x 5 x 5 feet, courtesy of the artist.
Shawn Burkard: Monoliths 3
September 30, 2011, ongoing
Developed from a multiple-element sculpture created earlier this year, St. Louis-based artist Shawn Burkard presents three monolithic painted steel structures that reveal the imaginary framework of the originating work. Installed in the Lucy and Stanley Lopata Sculpture Garden, and in front of the Emerson Building, the works create a dialogue with neighboring contemporary architecture and The Sheldon's historic building.
Shawn Burkard has exhibited locally at the Bruno David Gallery, and serves as assistant in the sculpture studio of Frank Schwaiger.